The helicopter Bell OH-58 Kiowa. Specifications. A photo.
Bell OH-58 Kiowa - American military multipurpose helicopter developed by Aircraft Corporation «Bell Helicopter» in 1966 year.
A photoBell OH-58 Kiowa
Draft American multipurpose military helicopter began to be developed by the specialists of «Bell Helicopter» by special order of the armed forces of the United States. This is due to the necessity was entering the armed forces of the country's high-quality multi-purpose aircraft, capable of providing fire cover and used as a full-fledged combat units capable of combat with enemy units, including manpower, lightly armored and armored vehicles. Working exclusively attack helicopters are not interested by the US military command, because in such a situation, the aircraft could not be used for transporting small groups of people and their evacuation.
The first work on the creation of a multi-purpose military aircraft means beginning of the American aircraft manufacturers still in 1961 year, and in fact, the entire process of helicopter development took 5 years, which has led to some increase in the cost of the aircraft, however, due to the fact that the aircraft was designed exclusively for military use , it is virtually no effect on his popularity.
Bell OH-58 Kiowa photo
In 1966 by helicopter Bell OH-58 Kiowa has made its first test flight, which turned out to be quite impressive, however, a number of design features of the aircraft require additional modifications, in this connection, the production of this aircraft began only in 1969 year.
On board his helicopter model Bell OH-58 Kiowa may transport six people, including two pilots, or as a single pilot and arrow, as well as four soldiers, or equal to the amount by weight of the additional load. Due to the fact that the aircraft possess multipurpose helicopter has received a lot of support, and therefore the release of it was conducted up to 1989 years.
Armament helicopter Bell OH-58 Kiowa includes one machine gun with a block of 6 rotating shafts, and can further equip two sets of rockets to destroy armored equipment of the enemy, or else to provide the combustion air cover. If necessary, there may also be installed and two large-caliber machine gun hand, however, in this case, the aircraft crew should be increased up to four people.
HelicopterBell OH-58 Kiowa
The power plant model helicopter Bell OH-58 Kiowa consists of a gas turbine aircraft engine brands Allison T63-A-700, which is able to develop traction in 317 hp, which is very little for a military helicopter. However, the aircraft engine has a high reliability and provides the aircraft the ability to accelerate to speeds in 220 km \ h. (Depending on the modification of the helicopter). The helicopter can carry out air travel for distances up to 480 kilometers, which is very suitable for this type of aircraft.
Production of model helicopters Bell OH-58 Kiowa carried out by US aircraft manufacturers in the following variants:
- Bell OH-58A Kiowa- A basic four-production version of the aircraft;
- Bell OH-58B Kiowa- Export version of the helicopter, developed by order of the Austrian Air Force;
- Bell OH-58C Kiowa- Upgraded version with a more powerful power plant and a number of technical improvements;
- Bell OH-58D Kiowa- An improved version of the helicopter, with more powerful weapons and a number of technical amendments and improvements;
- Bell OH-58F Kiowa- A modernized version of the helicopter, presented in 2012 year;
- Bell OH-58F Block II- One of the varieties of the helicopter version of Bell OH-58F Kiowa;
- Bell OH-58X Kiowa- A special version of a helicopter pilot.
Specifications Bell OH-58 Kiowa.
- Crew: 2 person;
- Capacity: 4 people (depending on version);
- helicopter length: 9,8 m (depending on version).
- The height of the helicopter: 2,92 m (depending on version).
- The diameter of the rotor: 10,78 m (depending on version).
- Weight of empty helicopter: 718 kg. (Depending on version);
- Maximum takeoff weight: 1360 kg. (Depending on version);
- Cruising speed: 190 km \ h. (Depending on version);
- Maximum flight speed: 220 km \ h. (Depending on version);
- Maximum flight distance: 480 km. (Depending on version);
- Maximum flight height: 5800 m .;
- Powerplant: Allison T63-A-700 (depending on version);
- Power: 317 hp (Depending on version).
- Aviation and literature
- A uniform
- Military aviation
- Civil Aviation
- Helpful information
- The calendar
- Aviation and music
- game air
- Plane Crash
- Aviation and cinema
- Educational establishments
- Author's articles
- Assemblies and units of air equipment
- The probability of catastrophes
- Online Timetable
- The calculation of the distance
Best in the world of aviation