Douglas DC-3. Characteristics. A photo
Douglas DC-3 - a multi-purpose twin-engine airliner manufactured by the American aircraft manufacturer Douglas Aircraft Company in the period from 1936 1942 on year.
According to the opinions of leading experts, the aircraft Douglas DC-3 is a really good model not only for its time, but also up to 70-ies of the last century. Thanks to the reliability of the aircraft, it is quite acceptable flight performance and ease of maintenance, aircraft Douglas DC-3 and partially exploited at present.
Development of the aircraft Douglas DC-3 was made on the basis of the model DC-2, however, aircraft manufacturers have considered earlier shortcomings and nuances and the most perfected this model. Initially the aircraft were operated during the Second World War as a transport and freight-passenger aircraft, but, later, they have taken up the service and in civil aviation - is known about 607 aircraft specially manufactured for civil aviation.
Douglas DC-3 photo
The power plant of the aircraft consists of two helical piston engine Wright R-1820 Cyclone (depending on version), capable of developing a total power of 2200 hp and to carry out the flight at speeds up to 333 km \ h (cruising airspeed). The reliability of this aircraft was tested by pilots of several generations, and virtually no complaints from the management, rapidity and agility in the pilots did not arise.
Depending on the cabin configuration, the aircraft Douglas DC-3 24 can accommodate passenger (standard production model), however, these aircraft were widely used for any purpose, including for the transport of goods, the landing parachutists, etc.
In addition to basic production version, the plane was manufactured in several versions, mainly tailored for specific tasks.
Basic production version of the aircraft was named Douglas DST, while, in the performance of daily passenger flights could accommodate 24 passenger, however, in the case of long-term air travel and air travel at night, the salon was completed with special places to sleep on board the aircraft, and allows you to put on board only 16 people.
Photo Douglas DC-3
Version Douglas DC-3 was a more universal model, designed for a constant number of passengers on board - 21 people. There are no gadgets, this version is not received.
Model Douglas DC-3A got updated, more efficient and powerful (1200 hp each), piston aircraft engines Pratt & Whitney R-1830-21, allowing to accelerate to speed in 350 km \ h (cruising speed).
Modification of the Douglas DC-3B have become more reliable in operation engines Wright R-1820 Cyclone power 1200 hp each. Among other things, more capacious fuel tanks allowed the aircraft to travel distances up to 2,5 thousand kilometers.
Model Douglas DC-3C is a revised version of the military aircraft. There are nochanges in flight performance of the aircraft did not happen, however, the interior has been remodeled to civil aviation, which allowed the various airlines in the world to operate this model.
Model Douglas DC-3D, represented 28 new aircraft produced Douglas Aircraft Company of parts and components for the military models.
Douglas DC-3S - improved model, equipped with a new wing and a modified tail, which is why some increased maneuverability and controllability of the aircraft. The model was equipped with more productive engines Pratt & Whitney R-2000, 1300 power in HP one that provided the aircraft cruising speed of 370 km \ h.
Douglas DC-3 \ LXD1 - special version produced in a single copy for the Japanese Navy.
Model Douglas C-41A produced as VIP-transport for high-ranking persons. The main feature of this modification was finished with high quality interior, almost completely absorbs the noise from the flight.
Modification of the Douglas C-48 was presented only as an aircraft, and has been used for almost 20 years of American Airlines United Air Lines as a plane business class.
Model Douglas C-48A is 18-seater passenger aircraft, which is essentially an updated version of the Douglas DC-3A, except for altering the cabin, improved aerodynamic forms and installed electronic means.
Version Douglas C-48B was no more than a C-48A model modification, specifically oriented to the needs of medical aircraft.
Model Douglas C-48C had ample 21-seat passenger compartment, and in its essence the plane was actually converted to the needs of civil aviation, the military version.
VIP salonDouglas DC-3
Planes series Douglas C-49 is a modification based on the version of the Douglas DC-3 Douglas and the DST, different interior layouts.
Series aircraft Douglas C-50 consisted of recycled aircraft version of the Douglas DC-3 - the main difference is the only salon equipment and general seating.
Model Douglas C-51 was commissioned by the American aircraft manufacturer in the «Canada Colonial Airlines» single version specifically for the Canadian air carrier.
Douglas C-52 - modified and redesigned version of the Douglas DC-3A, defined new piston aircraft engines Pratt & Whitney R-1830, increased power.
Model Douglas C-68 is a modified, 21-local version of the model Douglas DC-3A. The passenger cabin is equipped with new, more comfortable passenger seats, as well as a number of other minor innovations. It was built only two aircraft of this version.
The aircraft Douglas C-84 is processed DC-3B version of the model. A distinctive feature of this was the mutated form of the wing, as well as more capacious fuel tanks.
Model Douglas R4D-2 has been converted into a high-class aircraft and operated only by the airline «Eastern Air Lines» for performance of charter flights and the business of the airline.
Modifications Douglas R4D-4, Douglas R4D-4R and Douglas R4D-4Q are special version developed for US Navy aircraft.
The military version of the aircraft Douglas DC-3 Dakota II is a special design for the Royal Air Force of Great Britain. Currently, the model decommissioned.
Among other things, based on the model of Douglas DC-3 it was created several special versions using quite popular throughout the world.
- Airtech DC-3 \ 2000 - Revised version of the DC-3? From aircraft engines installed PZL ASz-62IT, able to develop power in 1100 hp each. Among other things, avionics aircraft was replaced by a new, more sophisticated and modern;
- Basler BT-67 - An improved version of the aircraft Douglas DC-3, which received increased fuselage length, which contributed to a greater passenger capacity, and new engines Pratt & Whitney Canada PT-6A-67R;
- BSAS C-47 TP Turbo Dakota - A special version developed on the basis of the model DC-3 for the South African Air Force, aircraft engines installed with new Pratt & Whitney Canada PT6A-65R turboprop types;
- Conroy Turbo Three - Modification equipped turboprop engines Rolls-Royce Dart Mk. 510;
- Conroy Super Turbo Three - Revised version of the Conroy Turbo Three, equipped with more modern engines and avionics;
- Conroy Tri Turbo Three - Trёhdvigatelnaya modification, equipped with powerful turboprop engines Pratt & Whitney Canada PT6A-65R;
- Greenwich Aircraft Corp Turbo Dakota DC-3 - Modification of the model built on the basis of DC-3, with two mounted turboprop engines Pratt & Whitney Canada PT6A-65AR, lengthened fuselage, and a modified wing;
- TS-62 - A special version adapted for Soviet aircraft engines ASh-62IR;
- TS-82 - Analogue model TS-62, adapted for engines ASh-82FN;
- USAC DC-3 Turbo Express - A modification based on the version of the DC-3, equipped turboprop powerplant comprising two engines Pratt & Whitney Canada PT6A-45R;
- Douglas C-47 - Version of the DC-3 intended for use in the US Air Force as a transport or transport and passenger aircraft;
- Showa \ Nakajima L2D - The military version produced for the Air Force and Navy of Japan;
- Lisunov Li-2 - A model produced under license in the USSR.
Technical specifications Douglas DC-3.
- Crew: 2 person;
- Passenger: 21 people (depending on version);
- aircraft Length: 19,7 m (depending on version).
- Wingspan: 29 m (depending on version).
- Plane Height: 5,16 m (depending on version).
- Weight of empty aircraft: 7,65 t (depending on version).
- Payload: 4,35 t (depending on version).
- Maximum takeoff ves6 12 t (depending on version).;
- Cruising speed: 333 km \ h. (Depending on version);
- Maximum flight speed: 370 km \ h. (Depending on version);
- Maximum flight distance: 2400 km. (Depending on version);
- Maximum flight height: 7100 m .;
- aircraft engine type: a piston (depending on version);
- Powerplant: 2 × Wright R-1820 Cyclone (depending on version);
- Power: 2 × 1100 hp (Depending on version).
- Aviation and literature
- A uniform
- Military aviation
- Civil Aviation
- Helpful information
- The calendar
- Aviation and music
- game air
- Plane Crash
- Aviation and cinema
- Educational establishments
- Author's articles
- Assemblies and units of air equipment
- The probability of catastrophes
- Online Timetable
- The calculation of the distance
Best in the world of aviation