Helicopter Sikorsky CH-37 Mojave. Specifications. A photo.
Sikorsky CH-37 Mojave - US military transport helicopter, designed and developed in 1953, the aircraft manufacturer «Sikorsky Aircraft».
Sikorsky CH-37 Mojave Photo
The first work on the design of heavy military transport helicopter model Sikorsky CH-37 Mojave, started by American engineers in the early 50-ies of the last century. The initiator of this project was the beginning of the US military command, that there is a strong need to use multi-purpose helicopters, high load capacity, capable to transport on its board of military and transportation of heavy and oversized cargo.
Despite the fact that their first flight of the aircraft model Sikorsky CH-37 Mojave has made already 1953 year, the public at large aircraft project was presented only 1956 year, while, in spite of the relatively high potential of this helicopter, his official operation has been completed by the end of 60-x, which actually refers to the fact that the aircraft does not meet the needs of the US army.
One of the key negative aspects of helicopter Sikorsky CH-37 Mojave is its short range of flight, it is not possible to efficiently operate the aircraft. Even with the introduction of modifications and attempts to install additional fuel tanks, the helicopter could not overcome the distance over 420 kilometers. In addition, the rather large size of the aircraft, made the military-transport helicopter low maneuverable, which also gave certain difficulties in its operation.
A photoSikorsky CH-37 Mojave
On board the aircraft Sikorsky CH-37 Mojave can accommodate up to 29 people, including three crew members and 26-equipped troops. If necessary, the helicopter could carry also the transport on its board and cargo total weight of up to 4,5 tons, which was a very acceptable figure for a given aircraft.
Initially it was assumed. With the helicopter can also receive and combat purpose, in particular, provided for the possibility of its use as an anti-submarine, anti-ship, or means, however, low maneuverability and a small range of flight, was not allowed to exploit it for such purposes.
Helicopter Sikorsky CH-37 Mojave is equipped with two radial engines of the brand Pratt & Whitney R-2800-54 Double Wasp, each of which has its own traction in 2100 hp, and ensures a high load capacity of the aircraft, but despite this fact, maximum airspeed of an aircraft of this model is limited 210 km \ h.
HelicopterSikorsky CH-37 Mojave
Production of helicopters Sikorsky CH-37 Mojave carried out in the following versions and releases:
- Sikorsky XHR2S-1 Mojave - Helicopter prototype, intended to be used as a combat aircraft equipment;
- Sikorsky HR2S-1 Mojave - Production, Utility variant of the aircraft;
- Sikorsky HR2S-1W Mojave - A means of early detection of the enemy;
- Sikorsky YH-37 Mojave - A test version of the helicopter, sent to the US armed forces to carry out the tests;
- Sikorsky H-37A Mojave - Transport version of the helicopter;
- Sikorsky H-37B Mojave - An improved version of the version of Sikorsky H-37A Mojave;
- Sikorsky CH-37A Mojave - An analog version of Sikorsky H-37A Mojave;
- Sikorsky CH-37B Mojave - An analog version of Sikorsky H-37B Mojave;
- Sikorsky CH-37C Mojave - An analog version of Sikorsky HR2S-1 Mojave;
- Sikorsky S-56 - An improved version of the aircraft.
Specifications Sikorsky CH-37 Mojave.
- Crew: 3 person;
- Capacity: 26 people (depending on version) ;;
- helicopter length: 19,59 m (depending on version).
- The height of the helicopter: 6,71 m (depending on version).
- The diameter of the rotor: 21,96 m (depending on version).
- Weight of empty helicopter: 9469 kg. (Depending on version);
- Maximum takeoff weight: 14090 kg. (Depending on version);
- Cruising speed: 180 km \ h. (Depending on version);
- Maximum flight speed: 210 km \ h. (Depending on version);
- Maximum flight distance: 235 km. (Depending on version);
- Maximum flight height: 2650 m .;
- Powerplant: 2 × Pratt & Whitney R-2800-54 Double Wasp (depending on version);
- Power: 2 × 2100 hp (Depending on version).
- Aviation and literature
- A uniform
- Military aviation
- Civil Aviation
- Helpful information
- The calendar
- Aviation and music
- game air
- Plane Crash
- Aviation and cinema
- Educational establishments
- Author's articles
- Assemblies and units of air equipment
- The probability of catastrophes
- Online Timetable
- The calculation of the distance
Best in the world of aviation