Helicopter Westland Wasp. Specifications. A photo.
Westland Wasp - British military multipurpose helicopter developed in 1962, the aircraft manufacturer «Westland Helicopters».
Westland Wasp photo
Small multi-purpose helicopter Westland Wasp models were developed by British engineers from the aircraft company «Westland Helicopters» at the end of 50-ies of the last century. The main purpose of this was an order by the British armed forces, which are needed in a small, but at the same time multi-functional aircraft, capable of carrying on its board a small number of people and goods, and used as a patrol agents, as a medical helicopter, etc. .d.
Westland Wasp helicopter designed on the basis of a model helicopter Saro P.531, who was never able to gain in popularity despite its relatively high flight performance.
His first flight of a helicopter model Westland Wasp has made in October 1962 years and due to the fact that the aircraft showed very acceptable aircraft performance qualities already 1963 year began mass production of these aircraft, which were popular in the armed forces of countries such as the UK, Netherlands, New Zealand and Malaysia, up to 2000 years.
A photoWestland Wasp
Westland Wasp helicopter could be positioned as a full and combat aircraft, for which, depending on the purpose and modifications, it could be installed on the following weapons:
- Caliber machine gun 7,62 mm .;
- Kit rockets;
- Set torpedoes or nuclear deep-water charge to combat ships and submarines of the enemy.
On board the helicopter Westland Wasp model can accommodate up to people 6 - 2 crew members and four passengers or troops, which is primarily dependent on the purpose of the aircraft. Among other things, the helicopter can also carry and transport various types of goods, the total weight of up to 970 kilogram, which the aircraft is most often used.
The power plant helicopter Westland Wasp consists of a gas turbine aircraft engine brand Rolls-Royce Nimbus 103, which is able to develop traction in 1050 hp, which is quite a lot for an aircraft of this type. If necessary, the helicopter can cover a distance of over distances in 490 kilometers, and carry out flights at maximum speed in 195 km \ h.
Aircraft Westland Wasp models produced by the British engineers in the following variants:
- Westland Sea Scout HAS.1 - The basic production version of the helicopter;
- Westland Wasp HAS.1 - Antiship and antisubmarine helicopter variant.
For all the time of issue, 133 aircraft of this model were built, of which to date only a few preserved specimens, including museum pieces.
Specifications Westland Wasp.
- Crew: 2 person;
- Capacity: 4 people (depending on version);
- helicopter length: 12,3 m .;
- The height of the helicopter: 2,72 m .;
- The diameter of the rotor: 9,83 m .;
- Weight of empty helicopter: 1569 kg. (Depending on version);
- Maximum takeoff weight: 2500 kg .;
- Cruising speed: 175 km \ h .;
- Maximum flight speed: 195 km \ h .;
- Maximum flight distance: 490 km .;
- Maximum flight height: 3720 m .;
- Powerplant: Rolls-Royce Nimbus 103;
- Power: 1050 hp
- Aviation and literature
- A uniform
- Military aviation
- Civil Aviation
- Helpful information
- The calendar
- Aviation and music
- game air
- Plane Crash
- Aviation and cinema
- Educational establishments
- Author's articles
- Assemblies and units of air equipment
- The probability of catastrophes
- Online Timetable
- The calculation of the distance
Best in the world of aviation