Helicopter Sikorsky R-4. Specifications. A photo.
Sikorsky R-4 - American light multi-purpose helicopter, developed by aircraft manufacturer «Sikorsky Aircraft» in 1942 year.
Sikorsky R-4 photo
The aircraft model Sikorsky R-4 was designed by Igor Sikorsky in late 30-ies of the last century, at the same time, despite the fact that the pre-war period in essence was only the dawn of helicopter engineering, model Sikorsky R-4 has been very promising and marketable although by modern standards, and needed in a number of different modifications and improvements.
Helicopter Sikorsky R-4 created as a multi-purpose aircraft, designed for operation in the military field, in this case, the aircraft performed mainly patrol and reconnaissance flights, and was not a combat unit, although such a possibility was considered and aircraft manufacturers in the early stages.
A photoSikorsky R-4
Its first flight model of the helicopter Sikorsky R-4 produced in January 1942 years and due to the fact that any deviation from the pans aircraft manufacturers have been identified, the aircraft was sent to mass production, which, in spite of the fact, though, and was only only to 1944 years, it proved to be very popular, as evidenced by the fact that aircraft manufacturers of the company «Sikorsky aircraft» 131 aircraft were built, of which, to date, in its original form preserved only very few.
Due to the fact that the helicopter Sikorsky R-4 equipped with low-power power-plant, and its structure has low strength characteristics, the aircraft may not be operated to carry on its board of any goods, which to some extent hampered its operation, however, history shows the use of the aircraft, despite this fact, the helicopter Sikorsky R-4 was very popular and was in operation until the mid 60-ies of the last century.
Helicopter Sikorsky R-4
On board the aircraft model unit Sikorsky R-4 can accommodate up to two people - a pilot and one passenger, who served mainly as observers. Small internal cabin space of the aircraft are not allowed to be placed on board a large number of passengers.
The power plant helicopter Sikorsky R-4 consists of a piston aircraft engine brand Warner R-550, which is having a thrust in 200 hp, allowed the aircraft of this model a top speed of 120 km \ h., At the same time, the maximum range of the aircraft flight the device limits the distance in 1225 kilometers (depending on version).
The following variations and versions of aircraft of this model:
- Sikorsky XR-4 - A prototype equipped with dual controls and power plant with a capacity of 165 hp .;
- Sikorsky YR-4A - Version with a larger diameter rotor and power plant with a thrust in 180 hp .;
- Sikorsky YR-4B - Version with small technical improvements, designed for the US Navy;
- Sikorsky R-4B - Main production version of the aircraft;
- Sikorsky XR-4C - Prototype, created on the basis of the version Sikorsky XR-4;
- Sikorsky HNS-1 - An analog version of Sikorsky YR-4B;
- Sikorsky Hoverfly I - An analog version of Sikorsky R-4B, created for the UK and Canada;
- Sikorsky S-54 - A special modification, created based on the version of the Sikorsky R-4B.
Specifications Sikorsky R-4.
- Crew: 1 people;
- Capacity: 1 people;
- helicopter length: 10,2 m (depending on version).
- The height of the helicopter: 3,8 m (depending on version).
- The diameter of the rotor: 11,5 m (depending on version).
- Weight of empty helicopter: 952 kg. (Depending on version);
- Maximum takeoff weight: 1170 kg. (Depending on version);
- Cruising speed: 105 km \ h. (Depending on version);
- Maximum flight speed: 120 km \ h. (Depending on version);
- Maximum flight distance: 1225 km. (Depending on version);
- Maximum flight height: 2400 m .;
- Powerplant: Warner R-550 (depending on version);
- Power: 200 hp (Depending on version).
- Aviation and literature
- A uniform
- Military aviation
- Civil Aviation
- Helpful information
- The calendar
- Aviation and music
- game air
- Plane Crash
- Aviation and cinema
- Educational establishments
- Author's articles
- Assemblies and units of air equipment
- The probability of catastrophes
- Online Timetable
- The calculation of the distance
Best in the world of aviation