Short Solent. Specifications. A photo.
Short Solent - passenger amphibious aircraft manufactured by «Short Brothers» British company with 1946 1949 on year.
"Flying Boat", namely, the name stuck firmly by model airplane Short Solent, was designed in the post-war period, with the main reason for the development of the flying machine is the need to maintain settlements and regions in which, for whatever reasons, there were no airfields.
Short Solent photo
His first flight of the aircraft Short Solent made in 1946, after which almost immediately went into mass production.
Depending on the execution time of passenger flights, the aircraft could accommodate up to 36 people with daily air travel, and to 24 people at night airfare. These types of aircraft interior equipment were adopted in view of the fact that the passenger seats were not perfect and prolonged air travel does not carry passengers comfort, however, thanks to the transformation of seats, passengers could rest of the flight.
A photoShort Solent
One of the aircraft Short Solent disadvantage is the need for a large number of crew members - 7 people, which in turn has been very costly for the airlines.
As the power plant on the aircraft Short Solent, four radial piston aircraft engine Bristol Hercules 637 each of which is capable of power 1690 hp, which is not always practical because of fuel consumption in some situations it was really huge. However, power plant Short Solent provides the ability to move with speed in 439 km \ h (maximum flight range) at distances up to 2896 kilometers, which allows the aircraft not only for local airlines, but also on a regional scale.
The passenger compartmentShort Solent
The main production version of the airplane is a model Short Solent 2, for three years of production which 12 aircraft was built. However, later it was also presented and modifications, in particular, we are talking about:
- Short Solent 3 (conversion of Short S.45 Seaford). Created 7 aircraft;
- Short Solent 4 (equipped with propulsion Bristol Hercules 733). Created 4 aircraft.
Currently, there is only one current copy of the model. The aircraft is used very often, however, the flights on it yet implemented.
Specifications Short Solent.
- Crew: 7 people;
- Passenger: 36 people (depending on configuration);
- aircraft Length: 26,7 m .;
- Wingspan: 34,4 m .;
- Plane Height: 10,44 m .;
- Weight of empty aircraft: 21664 kg. (Depending on version);
- Payload: 13717 kg. (Depending on version);
- Maximum takeoff weight: 35381 kg. (Depending on version);
- Cruising speed: 393 km \ h. (Depending on version);
- Maximum flight speed: 439 km \ h. (Depending on version);
- Maximum flight distance: 2896 km. (Depending on version);
- Maximum flight height: 5182 m .;
- aircraft engine type: a piston;
- Powerplant: 4 × Bristol Hercules 637 (depending on version);
- Power: 4 × 1690 hp (Depending on version).
- Aviation and literature
- A uniform
- Military aviation
- Civil Aviation
- Helpful information
- The calendar
- Aviation and music
- game air
- Plane Crash
- Aviation and cinema
- Educational establishments
- Author's articles
- Assemblies and units of air equipment
- The probability of catastrophes
- Online Timetable
- The calculation of the distance
Best in the world of aviation