Pitts Special. Specifications. A photo.
Pitts Special - a light American sports biplane designed by Curtis Pitts designer in the first half 40-ies of the last century.
Pitts Special a photo
Work on the design of a sports aircraft began to be carried out by American designer in the early 40-ies, in doing so, despite the fact that biplanes were replaced from service, Curtis Pitts has chosen for its future aircraft is the configuration that has been caused by several factors, including increased stiffness and structural strength, the additional upper pilot protection, high-wing resistance to positive and negative accelerations, more efficient aerodynamic shape, and others.
First Pitts Special aircraft flight took place in 1944 year, thus, the plane is almost completely satisfied the requirements imposed, and a few months later, after a thorough optimization of the design of the aircraft was put into production, where, despite more than 70-year history its existence, and is to this day.
The design of the aircraft has good streamlined shape provides aircraft high flight speed and excellent maneuverability, due to which the aircraft is perfectly suited as a sports aircraft, as well as for aerobatic tricks.
A photoPitts Special
Moreover, the plane could be used for training future pilots, helped by twin aircraft control authorities, however, to aircraft Pitts Special similar purposes applied only to 60-ies, and later became the only sport aircraft.
Plane Pitts Special is capable of accommodating up to two people, in particular, the pilot and the passenger, however, in a private operating aircraft was quite neprotyazhёnnoe time, since he had only a narrow focus and is not suitable for implementation of extended flights and transport on its board of any goods, which was due to the compact cabin dimensions.
Depending on the modification of the aircraft, the aircraft is equipped with a piston aircraft engine capacity from 100 hp to 450 hp, which in turn allows this aircraft to accelerate to high speeds, about 400-420 km \ h., but on long plane flights Pitts Special is not calculated, and the maximum distance of its repetition is about 515 km.
Pitts Special aircraft was manufactured in the following variants:
- Pitts S-1 Special - The basic production version of the airplane;
- Pitts S-1C Special - Improved modification of 1960 years, Being equipped motors from 100 hp to 180 hp .;
- Pitts S-1D Special - An improved version of the aircraft has four ailerons;
- Pitts S-1E Special - A modified version of Pitts S-1C Special;
- Pitts S-1F Special - A modernized version of the aircraft that can equip the engine power in HP 200 .;
- Pitts S-1S Special - a special version designed to perform aerobatic stunts;
- Pitts S1-SS Special - An improved version of the version Pitts S-1S Special;
- Pitts S-1T Special - A modified version of the aircraft, is equipped with a piston engine Lycoming AEIO-360-A1E (200 hp);
- Pitts S1-11B Special - A pilot version of the aircraft;
- Pitts S-2 Special - A modified version of the double aircraft;
- Pitts S-2A Special - An improved version of the engine Lycoming AEIO-360-A1A capacity of 200 hp and a modified chassis;
- Pitts S-2B Special - An elongated version of the aircraft with piston engine Lycoming AEIO-540-D4A5 (260 hp);
- Pitts S-2C Special - A modernized version of the aircraft, manufactured with 2008 years;
- Pitts S-2E Special - An improved version of Pitts S-2A Special;
- Pitts S-2S Special - Version with four ailerons and power plant with a capacity of 260 hp .;
- Pitts S-2SE Special - A modified version of version Pitts S-2S Special;
- Pitts Samson - Turboprop biplane version, equipped with an engine Pratt & Whitney R-985 450 power in HP
Specifications Pitts Special.
- Crew: 1 people;
- Passenger: 1 people (depending on version);
- aircraft Length: 5,71 m (depending on version).
- Wingspan: 6,1 m (depending on version).
- Plane Height: 2,02 m (depending on version).
- Weight of empty aircraft: 521 kg. (Depending on version);
- Payload: 216 kg. (Depending on version);
- Maximum takeoff weight: 737 kg. (Depending on version);
- Cruising speed: 282 km \ h. (Depending on version);
- Maximum flight speed: 340 km \ h. (Depending on version);
- Maximum flight distance: 513 km. (Depending on version);
- Maximum flight height: 6400 m (depending on version).
- aircraft engine type: a piston (depending on version);
- Powerplant: Textron Lycoming AEIO-540-D4A5 (depending on version);
- Power: 260 hp (Depending on version).
- Aviation and literature
- A uniform
- Military aviation
- Civil Aviation
- Helpful information
- The calendar
- Aviation and music
- game air
- Plane Crash
- Aviation and cinema
- Educational establishments
- Author's articles
- Assemblies and units of air equipment
- The probability of catastrophes
- Online Timetable
- The calculation of the distance
Best in the world of aviation