Douglas DC-6. Characteristics. Photo.
Douglas DC-6 - screw chetyrёhdvigatelny multipurpose aircraft, operated for the transportation of goods and for passenger transportation, Aircraft produced by Douglas Aircraft Company in the period of 1946 1958 year.
A photoDouglas DC-6
Development of the aircraft Douglas DC-6 began in early 40-ies of the last century, and, initially airplane intended to be used as a transport aircraft for the needs of the Air Force United States, however, later, aircraft of this model have been actively exploited in civil aviation performance of passenger traffic on medium-haul routes.
Designing aircraft Douglas DC-6 was conducted on the basis of a model DC-4Which very successfully established itself as a multi-purpose aircraft. Nevertheless, the fuselage Douglas DC-6 was mutated, and the power plant has been represented by four piston engines Pratt & Whitney R-2800, capable of providing a total capacity of 9600 hp The greatest use of the aircraft found the Air Force United States, however, despite this, there is still a model Douglas DC-6 continues to operate alongside civilian air carriers in the world.
Douglas DC-6a photo
Depending on the model and equipment produced by the cabin, on board passenger aircraft Douglas DC-6 can accommodate up to 48 89 people. Nevertheless, the model Douglas DC-6 gradually emerging out of service due to a sufficiently large flow of fuel and the lack of comfort in the performance of flight - the main problem is the noise of the four engines.
Douglas DC-6 Red Bull
Model Douglas XC-112A, presented in 1946 year, is nothing more than the first prototype of the new aircraft, thus, despite only a minor number of improvements, the plane was used extensively in the US Air Force.
Version Douglas DC-6 available in two basic versions:
- Douglas DC-6-1156 - version of civil passenger aircraft, designed to carry 53 - 68 people (depending on the configuration of interior), in the country, with installed aircraft engines Pratt & Whitney R-2800-CA15;
- Douglas DC-6-1159 - transcontinental passenger version of the aircraft, designed to carry 48 - 64 people. The model differs vzlёtnym increasing the maximum weight, fuel tanks increased volume and improved aircraft engines Pratt & Whitney R-2800-CA15.
Modification of the Douglas DC-6A was a cargo version of the plane, equipped with a special tailgate for loading various types of cargo.
Plane Douglas DC-6B was a civilian version of the airliner, and is available in two versions:
- Douglas DC-6B-1198A, seating capacity in 60-89 people;
- Douglas DC-6B-1225A, seating capacity in 42-89 people (transcontinental version) is equipped with four engines Pratt & Whitney R-2800-CB17, power 2500 hp each.
Douglas DC-6B-ST - Freight modification of the model DC-6B. Of the two outstanding models currently operates only one aircraft.
Model Douglas DC-6C a cargo version of the plane. Current modification is equipped with a cargo door, and if necessary, the aircraft can carry both the transportation of people and cargo transportation.
Douglas VC-118 - a special version developed for the US Air Force. The aircraft was operated as a presidential aircraft, and therefore, it was used on more advanced engines, and has improved interior layout.
Model Douglas C-118A is a military version of the modification of DC-6A. The plane was operated actively in the US Air Force as a transport aircraft, and according to some, its use continues to this day.
Modification Douglas VC-118A is a revised version of the military transport aircraft to the needs of the transport of people in the US Air Force. The plane was operated for landing and transport troops.
Models Douglas C-118B, Douglas VC-118B, Douglas R6D-1 and Douglas R6D-1Z - special modifications developed for the needs of the US Navy. Aircraft operated for transporting people and goods, and to carry out exploration in certain areas.
- Buffalo Airways (Canada);
- Red Bull (Austria);
- Namibia Commercial Aviation (Nimibiya);
- Everts Air Cargo (USA);
- Aerial Firefighting of Canada (Canada).
During the entire production cycle, from the conveyor Aviation Plant of Douglas Aircraft Company 704 aircraft descended.
Technical specifications Douglas DC-6.
- Crew: 3-4 person;
- Passenger: 68 people (depending on the configuration and modification);
- aircraft Length: 30,66 m (depending on version).
- Wingspan: 35,81 m .;
- Plane Height: 8,66 m .;
- Weight of empty aircraft: 23,84 t (depending on version).
- Payload: 20,26 t (depending on version).
- Maximum takeoff weight: 44,1 t (depending on version).
- Cruising speed: 501 km \ h. (Depending on version);
- Maximum flight speed: 520 km \ h. (Depending on version);
- Maximum flight distance: 7377 km. (Depending on version);
- Maximum flight height: 6700 m .;
- aircraft engine type: a piston;
- Powerplant: 4 x Pratt & Whitney R-2800-CA15 (depending on version);
- Power: 4 x 2400 hp (Depending on version).
- Aviation and literature
- A uniform
- Military aviation
- Civil Aviation
- Helpful information
- The calendar
- Aviation and music
- game air
- Plane Crash
- Aviation and cinema
- Educational establishments
- Author's articles
- Assemblies and units of air equipment
- The probability of catastrophes
- Online Timetable
- The calculation of the distance
Best in the world of aviation